You may remember that Samsung had to recall all of their Note 7 phones from consumers and withdraw it from sale last year when it transpired that the battery was prone to overheating. With the recall now complete, the phones were sent to a recycling factory in China.
However, the recycling has not gone entirely to plan. During the process of recycling these faulty handsets, the factory itself caught alight. 110 firefighters were needed to deal with the blaze. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.
The fire was mostly contained within the area of the factory dedicated to recycling, so most operations were unaffected. According to the local fire department “material that caught fire was lithium batteries inside the production workshops and some half-finished products”.